The travel industry would lose more than NT$10 billion (US$342.11 million) in sales revenue if there are unanticipated changes in COVID-19 vaccination policies for domestic tour groups, the Travel Agent Association said yesterday.
“We ask the Executive Yuan to continue offering subsidies to travel agencies and their employees until the borders are reopened,” association chairman Hsiao Po-jen (蕭博仁) told a news conference in Taipei.
On Friday last week, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that from Friday, people must show that they have had three doses of a COVID-19 vaccine to be allowed in a group tour or into a gym.
Photo: Chen Hsin-yu, Taipei Times
However, the CECC announced the new policy without first communicating with the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, which oversees the Tourism Bureau.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) on Monday told lawmakers on the Transportation Committee that he only heard about the new policy from news reports.
Since Friday last week, travel agencies have reported receiving about 500 calls per day to cancel tours and request refunds, the association said.
Up to 80 percent of domestic tour groups in the next three months are expected to be canceled because of the new CECC policy, it said.
Collective revenue losses could reach NT$10 billion, it said.
“Why is it that people who have not received a booster can take the MRT and high-speed trains, or go to the movies, but they are not allowed to join a group tour?” Hsiao asked. “Which activity has a higher risk of contracting the virus?”
Because of restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the travel industry has been in an “intensive care unit” for the past two years, surviving on relief funds and stimulus packages, he said.
“We have asked some of our employees to return to work because the borders will soon be reopened, but the three-dose mandate would send us back into intensive care,” he said.
The Executive Yuan should continue offering subsidies to travel industry workers for complying with disease prevention policies, or many travel agencies will go bankrupt this year, Hsiao said.
The new CECC policy would not only lead to more cancelations, but also dissuade people from joining group tours, Travel Quality Assurance Association chairman Louis Hsu (許禓哲) said.
Hsu listed problems that travel agencies have encountered.
Some clients claimed that they had received three doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, but refused to show their records and insisted on canceling tours and getting a full refund, he said.
Others wanted to cancel even though they met the three-dose requirement, but they did not want to pay nonrefundable fees, such as reservation fees for flight tickets and hotel rooms, he said.
With fewer people joining group tours and sharing costs, travel agencies would have to pay the transportation and accommodation costs themselves, Hsu said, adding that deposits they had collected would not be enough to cover the additional burden.
“We lose money whether we continue tours as planned or cancel them altogether,” he said.
Mounting disputes between travel agencies and clients were caused by the lack of communication among the CECC, the transportation ministry and the Tourism Bureau, Travel Agent Association deputy chairman Chang Yung-chen (張永成) said, adding that the Executive Yuan should take immediate action to address the issue.
“The Executive Yuan should also resume subsidies for travel agencies and their employees next month, as we are still struggling to survive,” Chang said, adding that they would no longer need subsidies once tourism arrivals at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport return to 80 percent of 2019 levels.
Taiwan’s publicity has greatly increased in the past few years due to the pandemic, rising global demand for microchips and the war between Ukraine and Russia, Chang said.
“We believe Taiwan will become a popular tourist destination in the post-pandemic era, when travel industry workers would be indispensable,” he said. “We hope that the Executive Yuan will increase funding to subsidize group tours to help retain talent in the travel industry.”
A bilateral relations fact sheet on Taiwan-US relations published on the US Department of State Web site was recently updated to remove statements saying that it acknowledged Beijing’s “one China” position, and that the US does not support Taiwanese independence. The fact sheet is produced by the department’s Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs. A previous version of the document opened with the statement: “The United States and Taiwan enjoy a robust unofficial relationship.” It said the US acknowledged “the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China,” and said that the US “does
INDIRECT MESSAGE? Chinese planes might have entered Taiwan’s ADIZ to take part in drills with a carrier group that was about 500km off the east coast, an analyst said The Chinese military yesterday said it had conducted live-fire drills in waters and airspace off Taiwan’s eastern and southwestern coasts from Friday to Sunday to test and upgrade its joint combat capabilities. The Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) posted the news on Chinese messaging platform WeChat. Over the past few days, authorities in Taiwan and Japan have observed deployments of Chinese planes and ships near Taiwan from a PLA carrier group of five destroyers, a frigate and a resupply ship led by the Liaoning aircraft carrier. The Japanese Ministry of Defense first announced on Monday last week that
China appears to have built mockups of a port in northeastern Taiwan and a military vessel docked there, with the aim of using them as targets to test its ballistic missiles, a retired naval officer said yesterday. Lu Li-shih (呂禮詩), a former lieutenant commander in Taiwan’s navy, wrote on Facebook that satellite images appeared to show simulated targets in a desert in China’s Xinjiang region that resemble the Suao naval base in Yilan County and a Kidd-class destroyer that usually docks there. Lu said he compared the mockup port to US naval bases in Yokosuka and Sasebo, Japan, and in Subic Bay
Police are investigating the death of a Formosan black bear discovered on Tuesday buried near an industrial road in Nantou County, with initial evidence indicating that it was shot accidentally by a hunter. The bear had been caught in wildlife traps at least five times before, three times since 2020. Codenamed No. 711, the bear received extensive media coverage last year after it was discovered trapped twice in less than two months in the Taichung mountains. After its most recent ensnarement last month, the bear was released in the Dandashan (丹大山) area in Nantou County’s Sinyi Township (信義). However, officials became concerned after the

source

Shop Sephari